Flattr

Flattr this
Wondering what this button is? Read my blog on it to find out!

Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Art Institute of Las Vegas Reviews: Confusion

In my Portfolio Preparation class, there were some issues that had me confused.

1.  There was a student presenting some logos that he paid a graphic design student money to create.  It didn't go very well for the logo.  In the end, the instructor said a logo was almost unnecessary, that the student's name itself could work as a logo.  If that's the case, why was creating a logo such a big deal in the first place?  I've asked a handful of graphic design students how much to create a logo and they wanted anywhere from $50 - $100. 

It was also "stated" that in the first week of class the logo is unimportant.  I spoke with two other students about this statement and none of us ever remember hearing anything about a logo not being important.  I have always thought a logo was not important for me.  I don't want to freelance nor do I have any professional equipment to freelance.  Will a company not hire someone because that person doesn't have a logo?

When I worked at Walmart, Kmart, the Army, or at Comair as a flight attendant no one ever asked to see my logo.  This is just a question I ponder not because of the school, but just in the professional field as a whole.  If I get hired by a company, will I be able to wear my logo?  Probably not.

(My first attempt at a logo.  I know it's not the greatest, but I not great at forcing creativity.  Simple.  Lightning.  Don't worry, there was meaning behind it.)


In my Web Portfolio class, I was always being told I needed to work on my logo.  It wasn't great, but I honestly don't really know what I want to do in my field right now after going to this school.  Coming up with a logo has been a creative block for me, and the student that paid for a logo in the class session was shot down. 

So I'm not paying for anyone to do my logo.

2.  Another tick from my Web Portfolio class - In that class, we were told to have a "Contact" page with all of the ways we could be contacted.  One student while presenting his website in Portfolio Preparation was told to take down the Contact page.  When the student explained that in Web Portfolio this is what was required for the class, the student was told roughly "...it was for that class.  This is not that class."

The second point could be added on to my Am I Taking a Class or an Instructor post.

(New logo.  Why I created it I have no idea.  I was watching Burn Notice and it just popped in to my head)

List of all the posts I have about my experiences at AILV

No comments:

Post a Comment