Flattr

Flattr this
Wondering what this button is? Read my blog on it to find out!

Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Art Institute of Las Vegas Review: Unnecessary Class

Last quarter, I took Web Portfolio, which essentially was pointless.  It was essentially a study hall.  A very expensive study hall.  A near $1,400 study hall.  We did get some pointers on how to have our websites look, though!

The fact this class was based on a student's "progression" - your grade was determined by how much work you did throughout the quarter - is pointless.  You essentially pay for a study hall.  Nothing was really taught.  We were given the option to use easy-to-create websites like wix.com or to try to do HTML.  Our instructor, however, was self-proclaimed as having limited HTML knowledge, but I will credit the instructor to doing research every time she didn't know how to do something in HTML.  But should any instructor have to research anything more than once or twice over the course of a quarter?

(Through these doors lay some classes that are pointless, almost as much as my selfie)

In the last couple weeks of the class, the instructor wasn't in the class room a whole lot.  Some students just emailed in their work and they didn't even have to show up.  There were some things I didn't like that the school wanted, but I was told I should just do everything the school tells me to do on my website so I can graduate and either have a second website or just change everything after I graduate. 

So am I trying to have a great website that reflects me or am I trying to just graduate?

The quarter before I took Web Portfolio, it was pretty much the same situation for the same class, but the ultimate end state for the class was for you to have a functioning website.  However, this quarter, students in Web Portfolio are doing so much work!  And they have to buy a domain name.  At least it was an option for me.  Buying a domain name should be something done in one's last quarter.  You can take Web Portfolio quarters before you graduate.  A lot of things could change before then.

Why is there such a such a wide variety of how this class (this isn't the only one, trust me) are taught?

We were also told this class was there to give us time to work on other parts of our portfolio.  The school isn't giving time.  If they were giving us time, it wouldn't cost us anything.  We could just as easily work on our portfolios without paying to do so.

List of all the posts I have about my experiences at AILV

No comments:

Post a Comment