Flattr

Flattr this
Wondering what this button is? Read my blog on it to find out!

Monday, August 4, 2014

The Art Institute of Las Vegas Reviews: Pan and Tilt Your Way to Success!

I understand the importance of knowing the basics of any skill.  However, when we spend so much class time going over things over and over again, class gets boring and time is wasted.

Example #1:  Pan & Tilt

A pan is when the camera moves from left to right or right to left, but remains on a fixed position like on a stationary tripod. 

A tilt is when the camera moves from up to down or down to up, but remains on a fixed position like on a stationary tripod.

I learned this in my first video class.  I then learned it again in numerous classes afterwards.  I have been quizzed or tested on these movements numerous times in numerous classes all the way up to my 10th quarter.

(I went on Youtube and searched "How to pan and tilt."  There were no videos on the first page on how to pan and tilt.  This means panning and tilting is so easy to understand that almost no one...no one...has bothered to make a video explaining how.  There are some techniques that produce a better pan/tilt for sure, but if it is so easy to understand that no one has made a Youtube video for it, why do I get asked what they are repeatedly in exams in multiple classes?)


Example #2:  Aperture.

The rule of thumb of an aperture in a camera - The larger the F-Stop, the smaller the aperture & more of the image is in focus.

f-1.2 = larger aperture (more light can get into the lens) and smaller depth of field (less areas in focus).

f-16 = smaller aperture (less light can get into the lens) and larger depth of field (more areas in focus).

I have been taught this so many times.  The last time I was taught it, it was a good 10 minutes of class time going over the same thing that I had been over in at least three other classes.

The video below teaches you what I have learned about a camera's aperture in less than four minutes than the 4+ classes I have learned about aperture in.  This video also gives two examples of how to remember how aperture works - something I was never taught.


(In this short video, Lori Allen teaches you the basics of a camera's aperture and even shows a physical demonstration.  The cost to you = Free.  I know I've been taught in at least 4 classes.  Those 4 classes priced in over $5,000. Sure, I learned other things in those classes, but what's up with the repetition?)

List of all the posts I have about my experiences at AILV

No comments:

Post a Comment