Flattr

Flattr this
Wondering what this button is? Read my blog on it to find out!

Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Art Institute of Las Vegas Reviews: Am I Taking a Class or an Instructor?

I have hinted at it in a few other blog posts, but I thought I would clarify the title of this post.

In each class, the instructor provides a syllabus.  This syllabus is generally edited by the instructor to fit his/her needs for the class.  I say this very loosely because it is more taught along the lines of whatever the instructor wants to teach for the class.  A few times there was no plan for the class.  It was taught "to the needs" of the class.

My most recent example is my Advanced Camera and Lighting class.  Our class didn't know a whole chunk of information that was suppose to be taught in the Intermediate Camera class, so the instructor had to go over it in the class I have now.

This happened because the instructor I had for Intermediate Camera taught whatever he felt "Intermediate Camera" meant.  And other students had other instructors teach whatever they thought "Intermediate Camera" meant.  Also, instructors do not ask for clearance to change aspects of the class.  They just do it.  Sometimes this is for the better and sometimes for the worse.

(Empty classrooms may be the only way the school will change its ways and actually teach)


Also, in my Short Form Media Production class, we were told that if we were suppose to know something, the instructor wasn't going to go over it.  The positive = no wasted time.  The negative = students can be left behind.  Since the school doesn't offer multiple times for the same class each quarter, it's hard to fit every class in your schedule if you need to (this is extremely hard on those with full time jobs and/or families).  You are subject to taking classes to the limited times the school provides.  Is it the student's fault if s/he hasn't taken classes with the knowledge s/he needs to know for Short Form Media Production?

For more of my experiences, visit my blog post about my Web Portfolio experience will give you a hint on what I mean.

List of all the posts I have about my experiences at AILV

No comments:

Post a Comment