Flattr

Flattr this
Wondering what this button is? Read my blog on it to find out!

Friday, August 1, 2014

The Art Institute of Las Vegas Review: Faculty Equipment Knowledge

This week, one of my instructors told one of my classes that the doorway dollies (used to get smooth tracking shots in video/film) were not to be used outside.  They are to be used indoors only because of how the tires are made.  If rocks get into the tires, it'll wear them away quickly.

He also said that he already had to get on one instructor recently because the instructor was using it outside to teach a class.  I also have had a different instructor in a class encourage us to take it outside and use it and seen that instructor using it outside.  I have been at the school for two and half years and this was the first time ever hearing to not take the doorway dollies outside...maybe that's why they aren't in great shape.

Our switchboard in the video lab also is another piece of equipment that some instructors don't know how to use.  I have seen two instructors teaching classes that didn't know how to use the switchboard.  What caught my ear is when I heard one of them going to the service bureau to ask the student worker on how to use the switchboard.
 
(Switchboard on left, doorway dolly in front of mannequin)
 
How can someone get hired without knowing how or getting trained on how to use the school's equipment?  Why would instructors not go to their peers or leadership to learn how to use the equipment?  Why would instructors go to a student worker getting paid minimum wage and expect the student (like many other students at the school) to know everything?
 
Maybe I'm wrong, but if I was getting paid minimum wage and I was already working a job worth much more than that, I wouldn't know anything other than what was in my job description...especially if an instructor - someone who should know everything in my eyes - came to me needing help.
 
These are just a couple examples.  I heard from and read of numerous other students who have had incapable instructors of what they were teaching.
 
List of all the posts I have about my experiences at AILV

No comments:

Post a Comment