Flattr

Flattr this
Wondering what this button is? Read my blog on it to find out!

Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Art Institute of Las Vegas Review: Student Appreciation Day

(I was pretty much offended by the sprinkle of cheese I was given.  This was the first half of my fajita.)

Student Appreciation Day takes place on either the second or third Thursday of every quarter.  To show its appreciation, the faculty serves food to the students for lunch and dinner between classes.  To make time (?) for this, Student Appreciation Day cuts in to class time.  Since I started in 2012, they always:

1.  Released classes a half hour early in the morning.
2.  Started class a half hour late and ended a half hour early in the afternoon.
3.  Started class a half hour late in the evening.

These cuts in class time took two hours of class time out of each Student Appreciation Day.

This quarter, however, it was advertised that the afternoon and evening classes would start on time, making it an hour and a half break between each class instead of two hours.

 (How do you misspell "Student" on Student Appreciation Day?)
 
However, I received an email from Student Affairs yesterday stating the normal two hour breaks were still in session.
 
The advertised times on the flyer (above), however, didn't take effect.  I had an afternoon class and classes didn't start up until 1:30.  I didn't have any reason to be there after class was released, so I'm not sure about the night class.  
 
Now, we are always told to go and get some "free food."  Is this food really free?  Does it pop out of nowhere at the cost of no one?  Nope.  This food comes from somewhere, and I know the tuition students pay is probably part of it.  It is also unfortunate that not every student can take advantage of it.  Students have lives, and I can't think of a reason someone would drive across town to get some food.
 
I would rather have this money go to more equipment for students to use.
 
Whiny, personal complaint #1 - They also blast loud music during Student Appreciation Day and students have traditionally served as the DJ's.  I really shouldn't talk down on anyone who is trying to do what they love and I really don't know much about DJ-ing, but one student literally had a computer and pressed "Play" with really bad sound effect transitions between songs that led to silence between songs.  I don't mind the music, but sheesh.
 

(The DJ tent with the beverage trailer and grill in the background)
 
Whiny, personal complaint #2 - I didn't hear or see any of it this quarter (but for the last few quarters, I usually just grab food and high-tail it out of there), but students were, at one point, rationed food while faculty was given full access to whatever they wanted to eat.  The faculty also did not wait until the end of the event to get their food (I think this is a habit I have kept from my Army days - subordinates eat first).  I did hear one faculty member say "If this isn't enough, come back through!"  The grill is where the food use to be heavily rationed.

Another interesting note - For a class a few quarters ago, I did a little news package on what students thought of Student Appreciation Day.  The vast majority of new students (in their first few quarters) absolutely loved Student Appreciation Day.  Those students who generally attended school for more than a year were vastly against Student Appreciation Day. 
 
So take it as you see it - Is stuffing my face with food the proper way to show me appreciation, or should it be done with quality education and equipment?

List of all the posts I have about my experiences at AILV

No comments:

Post a Comment