Flattr

Flattr this
Wondering what this button is? Read my blog on it to find out!

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Art Institute of Las Vegas Review: All the Small Things

Today, I went to check out equipment for some homework I needed done.  I was informed there were no more CF(CompactFlash) memory cards.  This means that I have over $4,000 in equipment, but no way to record anything I want to shoot since there was no $30 piece.

This isn’t a self-contained incident, however.  Just last week, when I was checking out some equipment, I was “lucky” enough to get the last CF card.  This meant anyone needed a CF card after me would have been screwed over if I took it.

There have been plenty of times in the past where even SD(Secure Digital) cards were not available for checkout.

My luck isn’t the greatest, but I’m absolutely sure many other students who have checked out equipment have run into this issue.  Not to mention the fact that these SD / CF cards don’t come with cases -  they are tossed around like expendable pieces of plastic…

(Transcend 32GB card [was on sale] and two Wasabi batteries that came with charger. $64)

Nonetheless, this means that if you don’t want any hiccups in this presented-as-seamless institution, you need to have back ups of all the little things.  Honestly, if I were to have to go to school all over again for film, I would have the following items on top of the $85,000 in tuition (for film/photography):

1.  A powerful computer
2.  An HD camera (at least a 7D)
3.  Lots of memory cards
4.  Lots of batteries
5.  About $15,000 spare in the bank for other expenses – gas, books (this is a joke, wait for my blog on books), paying for help, class materials, etc (since the school wants you to produce professional quality, even if you have no budget)
6.  A car

But the school wouldn’t care to tell you any of this because they “have everything you need at the school!”  As if.  Don't even get me started about the great 2-Day Paper Shortage of 2013!

You can get around without all of this stuff, but trust me, it's such a headache.  I see it from students at school.  I couldn't imagine trying to go through school with none of that list above.
 
List of all the posts I have about my experiences at AILV

No comments:

Post a Comment