Flattr

Flattr this
Wondering what this button is? Read my blog on it to find out!

Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Art Institute of Las Vegas Review: Why I'm Doing This

My name is Sean Corcoran and I am a former (as of 27 Sep 2014) Digital Filmmaking and Video Production student at The Art Institute of Las Vegas.  When I was told I wasn't good enough to graduate after maintaining a 4.0 GPA for the 2.5 years I've attended this school full time, I took a step back to think about some things (they also made a huge change in the film and audio program's graduation process without notifying anyone).  If pretty much all of my work is no good for graduation, then why have I never received less than an 85% on any of my projects?

I have been attending AILV on the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill.  This means that tax payers have had a HUGE part in getting me this far in school.  To help pay back the tax payers and because I'm so fed up with this institution, I started this blog to share my experiences at this school.  Honestly, if I wasn't on the G.I. Bill, I would have quit over a year ago.

I know the admissions office will not tell you the truth about everything (I use to be a recruiter in the Army, so I know the sales the position they are in), so I hope my experiences will help shed some light on whether or not you should risk putting in $85,000+ for a Bachelor's Degree, or any other amount of money for other degree the school offers.  I don't feel that the $75,000+ dollars of tuition I have used has even come close to a quarter of that amount, especially with only the $35,000 I'm suppose to be making after I graduate.

The following is part one by Dan Rather about For-Profit Colleges:


 
News outlets have done a series of news reports on for-profit colleges over the last few years, but I posted this one because it was the most recent one I found and it echoes most other reports.  Most of these reports only comment on the very top colleges that don't include AI, but AI still is a for-profit college.
 
For-profit colleges hold only 10% of the students in America, yet take out 25% of the federal aid to education.  The graduation rate of for-profit colleges from federal aid is, on average, 50%.
 
Remember that The Art Institutes try to educate/train you to the area you are in, and there are plenty of credits throughout the school that won't transfer to other universities, let alone other Art Institutes.
 
To see all of my blog posts specifically about my AILV experiences, click here.
 
If you are a Veteran planning on going to school on the G.I. Bill, please take a moment to review Senator Harkins report on how much waste has been put in to for-profit Colleges.

List of all the posts I have about my experiences at AILV

No comments:

Post a Comment