Flattr

Flattr this
Wondering what this button is? Read my blog on it to find out!

Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Art Institute of Las Vegas (or college in general): Internships

The idea of college is swell.  The execution is hilarious.

Basically, you pay to go somewhere to be taught a career.  Then, you are expected to get internships, most of which you are not paid to do.  You are paying to work for free.  Then, after all of that, you still aren't even guaranteed a great paying job in your career (or anywhere) field!

When I took internship class, I told the internship advisor that it was ridiculous that all internships are unpaid.  I don't understand why, especially in such an industry (film) where unions are kind of popular, are students/people with a skill forced to work for free...an intern essentially providing a service for nothing.

One of the internships the school had was an unpaid internship that required me to have my own HD camera and a laptop loaded with Adobe software (I believe it was just Photoshop, After Effects, and Premiere).  So, without being paid, I was expected to have a camera (just say $1,000 to have my own if I couldn't get one from the school), a laptop to edit footage ($1,200), and Adobe Creative Cloud ($49.99/month, but $19.99 for students).  This doesn't include my travel expenses and food.

So I was expected to take the 2.5 years of education and go work at this internship opportunity and PAY to do so?

A lot of people claim that you get some experience and that is invaluable.  However, I'm fairly certain that if normal Joe off the street walked up to any business and offered to work for free, the business would probably say yes.  Most intern work that I have heard of is very basic.  The internship I ended up doing would not have needed any training at all - I was taught what I needed to know, and it wasn't difficult at all to do.

I know of one internship that paid a little (I think it was like $20 an event) to film high school football games on handheld camcorders.  At least you didn't have to pay for gas.

There were a couple opportunities that didn't sound like they would provide a full 99 hours over 10 weeks time.

Look at where you might be going to school for a degree - The Art Institute of Las Vegas.  You are providing them $90,000 in tuition alone.  This doesn't include all of the money you will be spending on equipment, rent, travel, food, etc.  Then they want you to go work for free if they don't have a paid internship available or you can't find one.  Then hopefully you can find work after you graduate.

College.  Really?  How about apprenticeships?  South Carolina is doing the right thing.

List of all the posts I have about my experiences at AILV

No comments:

Post a Comment