Flattr

Flattr this
Wondering what this button is? Read my blog on it to find out!

Friday, April 28, 2017

Get USA Network on Sling TV

How big of a wrestling nerd am I?  Well, the main reason (I'd say about 98%) I have ever had cable television is to watch WWE Monday Night RAW and whatever other wrestling shows there are on TV!  It's absolute bullsnap that I have to pay for a whole cable package for a whole bunch of channels I don't even watch!  And no, I'm not going to stream the shows without paying for them (I'm a loser).

Enter an alternative way of watching TV - TV streaming channels!  There are a few main options currently:  PlayStation Vue, Sling TV, and Direct TV Now.  You can get USA Network on all three services.  Here are a few notes on what I think about them (the channels are linked to their channel listings):

PlayStation Vue:  I had the PlayStation Vue for a week on a trial period.  Their DVR (which records shows you want to the cloud) was great.  They had some on demand content as well for $29.99

The major drawback for me is the fact that I couldn't watch any WWE shows live on original broadcasts.  I like getting on Twitter and tweeting about wrestling as they are, and the vast majority of people who tweet do so during the original live broadcast.
I would've let the free trial run into a paid month if I could've watch wrestling live, or even if they replied to my tweet!  They also lost

Sling TV:  Sling TV rounded me up by replying to one of my tweets:

USA Network is available on their 2nd cheapest package, the Blue package, for $25.  Also, when I signed up, I was able to get a Roku 3 for $49.99 (at the time, it originally was $99).  The Roku 3 was a big upgrade from the Roku 2.

Sling TV's on demand content is by far the largest.  They are beta testing their DVR service (which, unfortunately, they did not let me in on!)  I had a little problem with streams for about the first week, but other than that, there is a short delay when watching TV (I'd say about 30 seconds).

(So far, no one has tagged me in a tweet to @Sling crediting me for a new subscription!)

Direct TV Now:  Direct TV Now is what I'm currently running on.  Of the three services, I dislike this one the most.  The stream stops every once in a while.  Sometimes it will restart itself, other times I have to change the channel to get the stream working again.

On the plus side, I did get an Amazon Fire Stick with Voice Remote for free with the purchase of a month.  This is because Direct TV doesn't have an app on Roku.  I haven't had any issues with the Fire Stick and streaming on anything else except Direct TV.  Also, if you have AT&T Unlimited Plus, make sure to check out their bundle deal with Direct TV Now.

(Direct TV Now is pretty limited on what it can run on. On my laptop, it won't run on any browser, and there is no app for Windows.  It runs fine on my phone, though)

Final Verdict:  Sling TV.  It'll be Sling TV x 2 when they get their cloud service up.  But watch out Sling!  YouTube TV is coming out.  When I checked them, they haven't released in my area yet (Las Vegas).  However, since it is a local deal, they may be like the Vue and broadcast for the west coast (this means no live wrestling for me!) I'll update this when I get the chance to try it out!

Let me know what you think! Follow me on Twitter @BLoafX!



No comments:

Post a Comment